If you saw my Instagram last week, you know I fell off the wagon a little bit. By this, I mean I spent a good portion of last weekend/week eating pretty unhealthily. I was making choices that weren’t leading toward meeting my goals. Basically, I was overeating foods that I KNOW make me feel bad.

I was determined to get back up and eat healthy again. I know how to eat in order to keep my headaches at bay and I know which foods I’m sensitive too and don’t digest well. It’s not a matter of being unaware, it’s a matter of the choices I’m making.

My nutritionist had a pretty serious conversation with me on Wednesday. She told me to take some time to really think about what I am able to commit to right now.

This was what I needed. Real talk. A little tough love to get my habits back under control.

Since then, I’ve been doing so much better. I’ve been making healthy choices and eating the in healthy quantities.

Let’s be clear. My issue last week wasn’t necessarily that the foods themselves were bad for me. It was more that they became unhealthy in the portions I was eating.

As long as your body can tolerate them, anything is fine in moderation. I don’t like the idea of characterizing certain foods as good or bad. We just need to consume them in a way that is beneficial to our bodies.

I’ve done some reflecting. I have more to do, but I’ve spent quite a bit of time over the past week thinking about just what my nutritionist told me. I definitely have more to think about and decide (don’t we always?) but for now, I’m on the right track.

How do I know I’m on the right track? I’ve found a method that will be reasonable for me. It will keep me from feeling guilty when I indulge a little.

I’ve learned that deprivation doesn’t work for me. Over-restriction of my diet leads to binging. I’m realizing this is how I work.

I’ve decided to stick to a low histamine diet about 90% of the time. The other 10% I’m going to go easy on myself.

If I go out for dinner with my friends, I’m not going to stress about what to order if there isn’t something completely low histamine. If I want a drink or dessert, I won’t let it make me feel like I’ve completely derailed my progress and healing.

I know that if I’m not consistent, my body won’t be able to heal. At the same time, I won’t expect myself to be perfect. That’s just not reasonable at this point in my life.

I can heal with less than perfection, it just might take me a little longer.

If you’ve fallen off your own wagon, you can get back on track as well. If I can do it (and I definitely have), then so can you.

Ask yourself: What can you commit to right now? Knowing what you have going on in your life, what is reasonable for you? This can be socially, mentally, etc. Reflect on your habits and what has lead you off course.

Answering these questions will help you find a balance. This may look different for you than it does for me and that’s okay. As long as it’s what you can commit to, then it’s a perfect plan.

Good luck! Positive changes are coming your way. 🙂

xoxo

Elizabeth

Author

Write A Comment